Shop for your Chicago FSC Apparel!
PEOPLE LOVE TO SKATE WITH CHICAGO FIGURE SKATING CLUB!

 

HOME


ABOUT US


APPAREL


CHICAGO JAZZ SYNCHRONIZED SKATING TEAM


CHICAGOLAND GREATER SKILLS COMMITTEE


JOIN US


NEWS


COMPETITION RESULTS


LEARN TO SKATE RINK PARTNERS


SAFE SPORT™


TESTS


CONTACT


 

 

 

Our History

The Chicago Figure Skating Club was organized "to encourage advance and improve skating in all it branches, particularly figure skating, and to promote fraternity among skaters. The State of Illinois granted a charter to the Club on November 20, 1920. On May 26, 1921, the Chicago Figure Skating Club joined the newly organized United States Figure Skating Association (USFSA), and became one of seven Charter Members. The Club had already begun to make its mark in the figure skating world with representatives in the U.S. Figure Skating Championships which were held in Philadelphia. The Club had members in the Senior and Junior Men's events. The year 1929 marked the beginning of indoor sessions, which were held at the Chicago Stadium. From there the move was made to the Coliseum where sessions were held three times a week. The old Chicago Riding Club was made into an ice rink in 1936, and it was renamed the Chicago Arena. Here, in 1937, the Club was proud to host the first U.S. Figure Skating Championships held west of the Alleghenies, only a year after moving into this imposing edifice. Seventeen years of progress swelled the membership to 750 skaters, almost half of them under the age of eighteen. During the prosperous years, the Chicago Figure Skating Club lavishly produced costumed carnivals which featured world-renowned professional skaters? Sonja Henie, Karl Schafer, Frick and Frack, Skippy Baxter, Bobby Specht and many others. The 1942 and 1946 U.S. Figure Skating Championships were hosted by the Chicago Figure Skating Club, followed by the 1948 Olympic Figure Skating Tryouts and Exhibitions. The Club also hosted the 1950 Midwestern Figure Skating Championships.

Ice Dance at Chicago Figure Skating Club

After the sale of the Chicago Arena in 1954, members weathered three years of skating on outdoor rinks before taking shelter in the Rainbow Arena, which the Club called "Home" for ten years.  Larger ice sheets became available outside city limits, and the Chicago Figure Skating Club in its quest for advancement, moved to Northbrook for one season, and then to Park Ridge in the fall of 1969.As new rinks opened, the Club was invited to participate in programs, and in the recognition of growth potential, accepted these challenges. Additional sessions were arranged at Rolling Meadows, where the Club hosted the 1972 Upper Great Lakes Championships. 1973 marked another milestone when the Randhurst Twin Ice Arena was opened. Here the Club made substantial progress, hosting the 1976 Upper Great Lakes Championships, the 1978 Midwestern Championships, and lavish ice shows, where national and international caliber skaters performed. In 1978, when the Randhurst Twin Ice Arena was forced to close, the Club was again on the move; this time settling in the Glenview Ice Arena. Here the Club hosted the 1982 Upper Great Lakes Championships. "Home" continues to be established at Glenview, although sessions are held at other rinks to accommodate the needs of member. 

Join the world renowned Chicago Jazz Synchronized Skating Club!

In 1987 the Club embarked in the growing area of "precision team" skating, now known as synchronized team skating with the Jazz Babies initially representing the Club with a 22 member team. The Club co-hosted the 1995 Midwestern Precision Team Championships and the 1996 U.S. Precision Team Championships at the UIC Pavilion. In the summer of 1996, the Jazz Babies merged its precision skating program with the Rolling Meadows Rockettes Precision Ice Skating Club to form the Chicago Jazz. In 2006 the Chicago Jazz received 3 three national championships and our first World medal in the Junior Division. The Glenview Silver Blades synchronized team skated with the Club from 1998-2004. Club synchro teams have medalled at USFSA sanctioned sectional and national competitions and represented the United States in ISU sanctioned international competitions.  The Club is a member of the Skating Council of Illinois. SCI hosted the 2004 and 2006 Midwestern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championships. Since July 1999, the Club and the Glenview Ice Arena have co-hosted the Chicago Open Competition. The 2005 Chicago Open will be hosted on the last weekend of July, 2005.  Although the Club was originally formed as a social club, it has produced national and international champions, and has made many contributions to the United States Figure Skating Association. 

© Chicago Figure Skating Club, All Rights Reserved